Saturday, July 24, 2010

Learning from Sagas


Stories & tales are a superb means to get inspired & share knowledge. I am lucky to have my grand father, who always have new stories to share with me, ever since when I was a kid he used to share with me the sagas of Ramayana, Mahabharata, Chattrapathi Shivaji and tales of heroism and dharmic deeds, even today when I meet him he shares his wisdom & I eagerly listen, I personally believe that lessons from these sagas had immense impact on my life, these lessons have deeply rooted in my perceptions & beliefs & are very foundation pillars of my thought process.

As I grew up the depth of his stories also grew, when I was a kid stories were for fun, but today they have a deeper intellectual meaning. I would like to share with you a tale which he recently shared with me, this story is easy to understand & joyful to read but has immense hidden learning, I hope you will enjoy it.


Here is the beautiful story which depicts:

There was a cat and there was a rat. The cat was after the rat. The rat entered into the hole and the cat was waiting outside, because the rat was inside the hole.


Who will win? It all depends on who is more alert, because God has given intelligence to both the rat and the cat.

The cat got tired of waiting, and started going away. As she was going away, she got caught in the hunter’s net. She began to struggle, and the rat heard the noise. The rat came out with confidence. The cat was caught and helpless in the net and the rat was going away, when it found there was a eagle coming towards it, but it was quite some distance to go to the hole, so the bird was likely to pick up the rat.

Immediately, the rat got an idea and negotiated with the cat. “If you save me I will save you,” he said. How? “The bird is coming to get me, so I will come inside the net with you and you save me. And if you save me I will go out and cut the net.” The cat got confused with the courage of the rat & agreed. And the rat got inside the net and sat on the lap of the cat. The bird could not do anything and went away.

Then the cat realized that now if I don’t allow the rat to leave, I cannot get out and the hunter is coming soon. If I eat the rat the hunter will finish me. So she let the rat go. The rat also saw the hunter coming, but the hunter could not see the cat and rat.

The rat went round the net and slightly cut the bits of the net, and the cat got restless and said, “Hurry up, the hunter is coming.” The rat said, “Don’t worry, I will honor my words. When I will honor it, I will not tell. I said I will cut the net. When I will cut it, I will not tell you now.”

So the rat cuts a little and goes around twice, doing dance, then cuts a little more and did four rounds of dance. The cat now is in tension and yelling, “You are cheating me.” The rat says, “No, I am not.” By the time the hunter came very close there was only one strand left and immediately, the rat cut the strand, the cat came out and the rat ran to the hole and cat ran for its life. When the hunter came he could not see anything.


Dialogue with my Grand Father.

I asked, Dadaji, why was rat so slow in cutting the net?

Dadaji Answered: “because rat If had cut the net too fast, the cat would have eaten him. He had to honor his words, but the cat will not change.”


Lessons:

1. People hardly change, but at the same time you might have to support the enemy also.

2. We should keep a distance from the enemy so that we don’t get cheated by him. Look at Lord Krishna’s life. He always honored his words.


"In life we have to honor our words. Secondly help even our enemy. Thirdly, understand that people rarely change. Even if they change they change superficially".


It would be delightful if you share your views & suggestions, I hope you liked & enjoyed it. My special thanks to my Dear Grand Father, Shree Chandrasen Kashid Bhonsle for his constant support, motivation & love.

With Best Wishes
Sujay Bhonsle

23 comments:

  1. Dear Sujay,

    You have shared here great wisdom.I would like to thank you for that.You are fortunate to have grandpa who bestows his mercy by sharing wisdom with you.

    I like that concept where you mention,"GOD has given Intelligence to all.We use it according to our choice."

    Keep writing !!!! I enjoyed reading it.


    Regards,
    Prasad

    ReplyDelete
  2. sujay
    "you did it so well"......i must say that people really need help but may attack you if you help them..."HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Prasad, Thanks for your appreciation & sure I will keep writing blogs. Yes we all have equal intelligence, but matter is how well we use it.

    Regards
    Sujay Bhonsle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amrita,
    Thanks for commenting, it is about understanding the human behavior & then acted per situation requires.

    Regards
    Sujay Bhonsle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sujay,

    I read once that truth alone is naked, and is avoided. But when it is presented with the clothing of tales or stories, it reveals the hidden wisdom and accepted whole heartedly.
    That is what we call "the art of storytelling".

    Simple enough, wise enough and effective enough.

    Thanks for such a wonderful post. Good to read.
    Happy blogging..!!

    Sahaj Kukde

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice content writing with a very nice message..
    'Commitment' is the real key to gain honor in long term.
    Besides, you also made me remember the Tom & Jerry episodes, lols.
    Altogether, I enjoyed reading the whole post.
    Regards,
    Manish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sahaj,
    Precisely true, stories do have hidden wisdom, specially this one, thanks for your comment & wishes. For sure I’ll keep blogging.

    Regards
    Sujay Bhonsle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Manish,
    Thanks for your admiration & as some one has rightly said "be certain your deeds match your words, else you lose all credibility".

    Regards
    Sujay Bhonsle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sujay,
    your article is very inspiring..one because it conveys such a strong message and two because it shows u truly belong to your roots.. it's so good to know u share such great values n priciples..
    my best wishes for u..

    Kind Regards
    Ruchi

    ReplyDelete
  10. dear sujay,

    the content that you have written is very nice and commitment is the key to success and thanks for providing the insights


    with warm regards

    Saurabh Bansal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyus Sujay;
    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this story with us.It seems that you reached the self actualisation stage of Maslow Need theory.
    The story had combination of practical knowledge and present scenario of the world.


    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Sujay,

    I really liked the post. I must say I throughly enjoyed the story. Convey my regards to ur grandfather for sharing this wonderful story wid u which u inturn shared wid us. I must say that Stories are perhaps the best way to learn thing n remember them for ling time. they really get imprinted in ur soul. SO i would only say keep listening, keep learning n keep applying these in your life n spread it as much as u can.

    Regards,
    Dilpreet Khanuja

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI SUJAY,
    Your blog "Learning from saga" is very inspiring and thought provoking.
    The cat and the rat story was awesome.You did the right thing by concluding your blog in three small but powerful learning.
    your blog reminded me of certain people.with whom I'll adopt the strategy told by tour grand father.
    I like it very much.

    Regards,
    Jitendra Nainani

    ReplyDelete
  14. i agree with most of the ideas you have shared in this blog i am happy the way you describe. I can say from myself its hard to change perception and to stop doing something when you're used to it, even if it's wrong, isn't it?

    Thanx for sharing such learnings...
    All the best n keept writing such wonderful blogs

    Regards
    Ankur Gupta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sujay,
    Thanks for sharing wonderful story which contained indepth life lesson.This story has really given lot of learning.
    I enjoyed reading your blog,Keep it up!

    Regards
    Neha Fatehchandani

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Sujay,
    Nice blog, expert thoughts. You are blessed for you still have access to your grandpa's stories. The learning at the end are even worth praising.
    Good job.

    Regards
    Munish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sujay,
    Thanks for sharing such a nice story.
    What to be done?
    when to be done ?
    and How to be done?
    during a crisis or emergency this story can help you to learn that art

    Thanks once again
    Regards,
    Chetan Choparia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Dear sujay.
    you have written nice story, i read it & clik in mind Tom & jerry, they fight each other. i recommended you to see that series, which help you in makeing your life's strategic planning.

    Wish you all the best for your life & as well as your new up coming blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sujay,
    Its really nice reading your blog. Great learning from story. This is actually one has to do for survival.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Sujay,
    Thanks for sharing such an insightful story.I like the line "In life we have to honor our words." I personally believe that the person who can't live on his own words how he/she would be loyal to the others.

    Regards
    Neeraj Chotrani

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello sujay,
    I really like that cat & rat story because we may have to deal with such types of people in our life. So that story tells me how to deal with such people.

    Regards
    Subodh Sahu

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Sujay,

    I completely enjoyed reading your blog, fantastic way of putting the thoughts forward. Keep blogging, I would definitely love to read more of your stuff.

    Regards,
    Shoaib Qureshi
    http://soyasays.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Sujay,

    Great work buddy...keep up the good work.I really liked your blog a lot.

    Regards,
    Ruchi Gattani

    ReplyDelete